News for everyone
Happy New Year Goshen Leaders!
Phil Barbash here. Just wanted to drop you all a note and give you a couple of updates. I’ll do my best to be brief, a trait I’ve never been accused of having:
- We currently have 145 units signed up to attend Goshen Scout Reservation in some capacity. This is a 25% increase year over year which is great! It does however, mean that if you know of units that have not yet made their deposit, they should do so quickly. Camp PMI can no longer take new reservations during weeks 1 or 3, and Ross is getting close on Week 1. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE YOUR DEPOSIT, YOU DO NOT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT. There will be room for your youth/adults that has already been allotted.
- For those youth that need a little extra financial assistance with their camp registration, we do have camperships available for in council units only. It is an online form that is located here: https://gotogoshen.wpengine.com/registration/. The deadline to have these submitted is February 1. I have already seen a few of them come through.
- For those of you who have youth that may be looking for a second week at camp, please do keep in mind that we have a few specialty programs that may be a good option for them. Trail to Eagle at Camp Marriott Week 6 has plenty of openings for those youth who want to be on the fast track to Eagle. It is all provisional which means you DON’T NEED TO SEND ADULTS. Of course, provisionals are welcome to attend Camp Marriott any week and will follow the normal schedule. We also have 2 co-ed, STEM weeks. The first of those is for Webelos only and is during Week 3 at Camp Olmsted. The second is for Boy Scouts only is and is during Week 6 at Camp Olmsted. Boy Scouts attend provisionally, Webelos do not. All youth will have the opportunity to build their own Quadcopter to take home with them. More information is available here: https://gotogoshen.wpengine.com/camps-programs/stem-challenges/.
- Speaking of Co-Ed, we will be offering our Family Scouting program this year at our TWO WEBELOS CAMPS ONLY. For those packs that are attending, feel free to register female youth for Goshen, provided they are registered in the BSA. This will not yet apply to our regular Boy Scout merit badge program.
- Our med form for Goshen is located here: https://gotogoshen.wpengine.com/information/forms-downloads/. Please keep in mind that it has an additional page in comparison to the national BSA med form that needs to be signed by a parent/guardian or adult participant. It does NOT need to be signed by a physician.
- We are still looking for staff to join the amazing team at Goshen! If you know of anyone who has the summer off (I think we all do) and is at least 14 years of age, they can apply here: https://gotogoshen.wpengine.com/information/goshen-staff/. We will be hosting interviews this coming Saturday and next Saturday in our office from noon to 3. We will contact you after your submission to schedule an interview. Salary is commensurate with age and experience.
- Finally, we have opened registration for BOTH of our family camps. That’s right, we have 2 this year! One will be during Memorial Day Weekend and the other during Labor Day Weekend. More information is available here: https://gotogoshen.wpengine.com/events/family-camp/.
Well…I tried to be brief. Too much fun for that going on at Goshen! As always, please feel free to shoot me an email with any questions you may have. Happy New Year!
Need the up to date promotional materials to take to your unit? We’ve uploaded them to our About page. Be sure to check out some of our cool specialty programs, like STEM Challenges Weeks and the new Ranger Experience program for Venturers.
Want print copies? Just let us know! We’d be happy to get some to you.
Please contact Phil Barbash at Philip.Barbash@Scouting.org.
We’ve updated the Medical Form and put it all in one file for your convenience. Here’s what you need to know:
- What’s the difference between this and the standard BSA Health Form?
Only the insert on page 4: The NCAC Scout Camp Risk Advisory to Health-Care Providers, Parents, and Adult Participants
- Who needs to sign it?
No Physician Signature is Required. The form does need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Why the extra page?
We want you to understand the rigors of camp.
- What about Lenhok’sin High Adventure?
Due to the nature of high adventure activities, Lenhok’sin has an additional risk advisory document.
Hello Goshen Leaders!
I did want to drop you a quick note and let you know that we will be opening registration for Goshen Scout Reservation summer of 2018 at 9AM on October 2nd, 2017. We will use the same deposit as last year, which is the full cost of one youth to attend. That price will once again be $360 (same as the last two years!). That cost is non-refundable, but will be applied towards one of the youth that you are bringing to camp. As is the case last year, please please please make every effort to get your deposit in for the week that you want to attend. Some weeks become much more popular than others and we don’t want to turn anyone away from their chosen week! Once your deposit is made, your spot is secure and you can continue to add as many youth as/adults you want. For information on fees, our schedule, and anything else you may have questions on, please feel free to visit http://gotogoshen.wpengine.com. Also, feel free to follow us on Facebook at “Goshen Scout Reservation”. Thanks a lot and feel free to shoot me an email with any questions you may have!
Camping Director-Goshen Scout Reservation
We’ve made everything look nicer and hopefully easier to find, but for those of you used to the old site, we recognize there might be some initial bewilderment. With that in mind, we’ve put together this guide to help you find things during the transition.
Why Goshen? Looking for the videos and camp highlights? Check out the About page.
Contact information? Information > Contact Us. Quick references are also at the bottom of every page.
Events > Goshen@50. This site is still attached to the Council site thematically.
Prepare For Camp
Forms & Downloads – You can now find all the files you need for each camp in that camp’s Downloads section. The are also available in Information > Forms & Downloads.
Transportation – Details are available at Information > Transportation.
ATV, COPE, and Climbing program information is on each relevant camp page.
Events > Family Camp
STEM at Goshen
Camps & Programs > STEM Challenges
All the Camps
Find them all under Camps & Programs
All information is found on the Registration page.
Information > Goshen Staff
Need to get back to the Council site?
It’s still at www.ncacbsa.org as always. You can find a helpful link to it at the bottom of every page, as well.
Other Cool New Features
Keep track of dates with our Calendar and Upcoming Events on the Home page. Stay up to date with our Latest News on the Home page.
Hello Goshen Leaders!
I promise this note to be briefer than two weeks ago. If you are brand new and did not receive my note two weeks ago, please let me know and I will forward:
1. Please do keep in mind that every single youth and adult that pays by the early bird deadline on April 14th will receive a Goshen hat. If you would like to pay an additional $7, you may embroider that hat with your Unit’s Number and Hometown. Please keep in mind that should you choose to get your hats embroidered, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE THEM UNTIL YOUR ARRIVAL AT CAMP. Thus, if you want your hats earlier, non-embroidery is the way to go. As of April 17th, hats will be here and available for pickup. I will send out instructions on that process closer to the date.
2. Our two adult orientation meetings will be held on the 24th of April, and 3rd of May. Both will run from 7PM-8:30ish. The 24th of April will be here at our office at 9190 Rockville Pike Bethesda, MD 20814 and the 3rd of May will be at Andrew Chapel at 1301 Trap Rd Vienna, VA 22182. Remember that these are for adults that are BRAND NEW to the Goshen process. If you already know the drill, you probably do not need to attend, as it is mostly a brief overview of how camp works, and then a Q and A session.
3. For the Boy Scout Camps, please keep in mind that a youth must be paid in full to register for Merit Badges. For the few in each camp that have size limitations, your youth will be put on a waitlist, and then prioritized by the camp staff by age, and then by rank. Merit Badges are NOT first come, first served, so do not worry about them filling up.
4. Finally, keep in mind the Early Bird Deadline is April 14. As of midnight on 04/15/17, the price for both youth and adults will increase by $40. Get them in now to avoid the price hike!
As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
Goshen Scout Reservation, a fully accredited camp, is the home of three resident Scout camps, two resident Webelos camps, and the Lenhok’sin High Adventure Base, all centrally located around beautiful, 450 acre, Lake Merriweather.