News for everyone

Goshen Leader Update #6-COVID-19 Update

Hello Goshen Leaders!

Phil Barbash here with some more updates regarding Summer Camp and the ongoing pandemic:

  1. Will Summer Camp 2020 happen?
    The NCAC Executive Board will throughly discuss summer camp 2020 during the next full board meeting. We expect an initial decision regarding summer camp after that meeting in mid-May.  There many variables to consider in this matter and the decision could include operate as scheduled, modify or shorten the season, or cancel the entire season. This is obviously a moving target, and we could have announcements out sooner than that.
  2. Will the April 30th Early Bird Fee Deadline be Extended Again?
    At this time, we will not be offering an additional extension to the 4/30 deadline. Timing dictates the need to secure realistic attendance figures in order to begin ordering supplies and finalize staffing. We want to reiterate that should NCAC cancel any week, or the full summer, we will issue a 100% refund to all youth/adults who paid and registered for immersions camp. We do recognize that this may be creating a financial strain for some families In your, but please recognize paid attendance will be a significant variable in the summer camp decision making process.
  3. Is there any information regarding Part C of the medical form?
    No new information is available at this time regarding Part C of the medical form. Legal and medical experts are assisting the BSA in the creation of a policy that offers flexibility, but ensures the safety of youth and adults who attend summer camp. We realize this is time sensitive. So, as soon as we know, we will let you know.

Please be aware our NCAC Enterprise Risk Management Committee has been working with our Camping and Outdoor Programming committee to create a new list of health and safety policies and procedures that will likely need to be implemented this summer pending our ability to operate. We will have that document available as soon as it is finalized. Please let me know if you have any feedback on this matter.

I would like to provide you with more definitive answers regarding the overall summer season. Unfortunately there are still to many unknown variables. We will continue to monitor this situation closely and provide you with regular updates. Until next time, stay safe and let’s all hope/pray that a summer camp season is the light at the end of the tunnel.


Goshen Scout Reservation Leader Update #5

Hello Goshen leaders!

Phil Barbash here. Hope everyone is staying safe! Two quick updates:

  1. We are working on identifying additional campership money for those families who may need extra assistance with camp this year due to layoffs, furloughs, etc. We will provide details as soon as we have them. Please do continue to apply, as the campership application has been reopened online. It is here:
  2. National is in the process of reviewing what the requirements would be for Part C of the BSA med form this year, should we need to adjust. We will be in touch as soon as we hear the details.

Thanks again for hanging with us and please remember that all of these updates that I send out are posted here: Stay safe!


Goshen Leader Update #4-COVID-19 Update

Hello All,

I hope everyone is staying safe. I unfortunately do not have much of an update for you regarding COVID-19 at this time. We will continue to monitor the situation and blast information as we have it. A few notes:

  1. Please review our revised refund policy, as well as our updated early bird deadline and merit badge registration opening date. As a point of reference, every email I send out is listed here:
  2. Our website is fully updated with information for 2020. I do want to draw everyone’s attention to the forms and downloads page here: The top of that list on the left has the adult leader guide for all of Goshen. Please keep in mind that there is one overall guide for Goshen and one for your individual camp. Both will have useful information and both can be given to parents in your units who want to know what to expect.
  3. We are still looking for staff for the summer, specifically those that are shooting sports or waterfront inclined, and have reach the ripe age of 21. Please help spread the word and direct all applicants here:

That’s all for now. As always, please let us know if you have any questions and thank you for bearing with us!


Goshen Scout Reservation Leader Update #3 – IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING COVID-19

Hello Goshen Leaders!

I hope everyone is staying safe and thank you for all you have done and are doing to support Goshen Scout Reservation. I’m writing you today with a couple of updates:

  1. I have been asked a few times now about refunds. Here is our official statement moving forward:We are planning for an outstanding summer camp season at Goshen Scout Reservation.  That said, as we are all aware there are circumstances beyond our control that could impact our summer programming.  Should National Capital Area Council be forced by the Covid-19 virus to cancel the 2020 summer season, the following refund policy will be in place:
    • Summer camp conducted as scheduled – normal refund policy (85% refund if requested in writing before 6/12/2020 and NO refund after 6/12/2020).
    • Summer camp canceled by National Capital Area Council – 100% refund

    This policy removes your risk of making a commitment during this uncertain time.  We encourage you to make your summer plans now and spend your summer with us at Goshen!

  2. We are going to once again move the opening date of merit badge registration to 9AM on 05/01/20. This will put it at the same time as the early bird deadline and will limit confusion.
  3. BSA national is working on potential adjustments to our policy on the BSA med form part C being required for camp. At this time there is no update, but I will send it as soon as I have it.

We will continue to send updates on a weekly basis. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions. Thanks!


Goshen Scout Reservation Leader Update #2

Hello Goshen Leaders,

Phil Barbash here with a couple of updates with regards to COVID-19:

  1. First off, at this time we are still planning on having Goshen Scout Reservation open this summer. We will let you know if that changes.
  2. We will be extending the early bird payment deadline to 11:59PM on 04/30/20 until we know how this plays out. This has already been updated in the registration portal.
  3. For the Scouts BSA camps, we will also be delaying the opening of merit badge registration to 04/01/20.

This message, amongst many others, is posted here: . Please be safe during these tumultuous times and let’s hope/pray for anyone affected by the current situation.


COVID-19: Date Changes for the Spring

A few quick updates on changing dates. Currently, all other dates not listed here will be staying the same.

Merit Badge Sign Ups

Merit Badge Sign Ups will now be opening on April 1, 2020 at 9am.

Early Bird Deadline

The Early Bird Deadline has been moved to April 30, 2020 at 11:59pm.

New Leader Orientation Meetings

Our New Leader Orientation Meetings have been moved back a week from their original dates. The Maryland option will now take place at the Marriott Scout Service Center in Bethesda, MD on May 11th at 7pm. The Virginia meeting is tentatively set for May 7th. We’ll mark it on the calendar once the time and place are solidified.